- The transformed market. The place is fit to burst with friendly stallholders; our old faves and some new faces too. Have you seen what all the fuss is about? Say hello to relative newcomers: That Beer Place, Jeffro’s Wingz an Tingz, Death by Tacos, Stile Napolitano, Crustum, Thai by Thai… we could go on for ages – check them all out here.
- Whilst we’re talking about thriving areas of our city, we’ve got to look at Northgate. In the last few months the top of that street has blossomed into Chip’d, Vegan Jaunty, Hypha and Covino. A food and wine paradise.
- Our bar crawl has never looked so fancy. The Friday night wanders between Metronome, Paysan, Prohibition and Craft & Co. Cheers to that.
- The Northgate Development. Yes, I know, it’s really happening. The kick off is due early 2020. People have a lot to say on the subject and the Council are all ears. What do you want to to see, do and experience? We’ll be providing an opportunity shortly for you to put your ideas and questions to the team and help shape our city.
- Chester Hunger Games, it’s time to get eating. This two-week event invites you to sample the best indie grub in the city – kicking off tomorrow, 15th Feb. Find out all about it here.
- The huge influx of artists into the city doing and making beautiful things – working together to generate culture and creativity. Check out OssumPaul, Chester Visual Arts, BearwithLee Illustrations, Steph Coathupe (image below), Sophia Shaw, Brian Taylor and Racoon Graphic Design.
- SuperTrees are a go-go! This ambitious, creative project to transform Hoole Roundabout is underway. Three, biodiverse tree sculptures coming soon. You can find out more about it and keep track of developments here.
- Can you hear the music? There are some seriously cool kids bringing it to us, like Nexus, Stepping Tiger, Soundsphere and Restless Bear. Not to mention Chester Live taking over Brook Street in the summer again (4th-7th July).
- Collaboration! Our indies are coming together to put on events and compliment one another’s offerings. Beer Heroes will shortly allow you to order food from Burger Shed to enjoy with your beer. Meltdown and That Beer Place are teaming up for their first Chester Market event on 17th Feb. The Deva Tap are serving up treats from Nice Bites. The stella Italian Garden Quarter night also deserves a mention – local forces joining ranks to dazzle guests. If they plan any more, count on us to tell you. We’re also working away on an event to encourage indies to scheme together…watch this space.
- Beating the loneliness of home working with a co-working group – there’s 3 we’re aware of and each offers a different vibe. Freelance Thursdays takes place at Telford’s Warehouse every Thursday morning from 10:30am (until around 12:30) – pay £1 for unlimited filter coffee and a croissant. Book a desk at Industry in Handbridge if you need a good reason to get dressed, get chatting or get your head down (you can use their meeting rooms too). Last but not least, a chilled group which meets at Storyhouse on a Wednesday.
- Speaking of Storyhouse – we gave them love in our 2018 list and they’ve earned it again. We’re craving spring to kick in and give way to summer, and boy do they know how to put on an outdoor show. We’ll be sure to let you know when Grosvenor Park Open Air Theatre and Moonlight Flicks tickets go on sale. For now, we recommend making a brew and reading through their full calendar. With a quick peek we discovered Pin Badge, Design and Make workshop, a Playwriting Group, Matt Haig, Digital Buddies, not to mention musicals, films and performances.
- Chester Food and Running Tours. Don’t worry you don’t have to eat and run at the same time. These guys offer a large range of running centred activities – think ghost runs, prosecco, gin, treasure hunts and history tours, and also foodie driven walks to delight your tastebuds. Read our review of a gin run here, food tour here and book in here.
- There are some intriguing groups quietly hosting events in the city. We recommend you follow The Bespoke Drinks Company, PositiveFest and Hush Hush Events. And of course, keep an eye on Carriage Shed – dates for makers markets, vintage market and craft beer event with Beer Heroes, already released.
- Because you continue to surprise us and have so much possibility. Sparking minds do us a favour and get yourself to Murmurations this year – take part – #makechester.
You can adjust all of your cookie settings by navigating the tabs on the left hand side.